Sunday, May 15, 2011

Money Saving Chicken and Dumplings Recipe

My 3 year old asks for me to make this about once a week. It is from All Recipes (a site I use frequently). You can change up the veggies to suit what you have on hand.

Two things I do differently:

  1. Because it adds more flavor, I usually sweat the carrots, celery and onion in one the healthier tub margarines you can buy before adding them to the broth. Butter is so expensive I save it for things that REALLY need it for flavor. My favorite margarine is Move Over Butter, made from vegetable oil and buttermilk. It is yummy AND less expensive than other "healthy" butter substitute spreads. I can only find it at Winn-Dixie, though. 
  2. I mix the dumpling dough in my food processor. SO much easier and comes together in seconds. 


I won't reprint the recipe here just add a link to it since there are really no significant changes I make to it myself. It will serve you for a couple of days and if you buy chicken leg quarters in bulk you can sometimes find them as low as $.79/lb on sale. Skin them before you make the broth and you save time having to skim the fat later.

Chicken Stew with Dumplings from All Recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before posting: