Saturday, April 30, 2011

RE: CLJ Mom's Meatloaf Comment

CLJ - I forgot to add that I usually grind up my oatmeal in my food processor so the toddlers don't recognize it. They are 2 and 3 and can be picky at times. You CAN use it whole, tho, doesn't change the taste at all and the texture just a little. Probably better to have the whole grain of the oatmeal but if I can sneak the flaxseed and the oatmeal in there without being noticed I feel a little better about them eating red meat.

Also, it may sound paranoid but I always buy a roast and grind the meat at home. The meat tastes a LOT better ---- worlds different from ground beef you buy at the store and I don't have as many fears about e-coli. You know, I have found it pays to know your butcher. Even at a large, big-box chain store like BJ's those butchers will take the time to talk to you about the meats you are choosing and they have all agreed with me that the best way is to buy the whole cut and grind just before cooking. Just too much air and moisture is worked into the ground meat from the surface of the roast as the cell walls are broken down and the moisture combined with the air provides a perfect breeding ground for nasty buggies. 

It is cheaper, too. And I am all about the savings. Typically at my BJ's the eye of round 5 pound roast is around $2.59 a pound (smaller cuts cost more), while the hambuger runs anywhere from $2.99 to $3.25 a pound depending on fat content. At regular grocery stores the cost for ground beef, unless it is on sale, is even greater. 

I hope I don't have to tell you not to buy what they call "chubbs" - those sausage looking tubes of ground beef. YEARS ago I used to work at a meat processing plant (Bryan Foods, since defunct) and that is the worst, lowest grade ground beef you can buy. If that is all you can afford, I have a GREAT lentil curry recipe I can give you. ;^). Seriously, don't eat that stuff. It should be outlawed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before posting: