Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lemons on sale

I found lemons on sale at Publix and bought a few, but I didn't use them all before they reached their peak. So here's what I did... thought I would share. I zested the peel from the almost-over-ripe lemons, sliced them, removed the seeds and froze the slices on a plate lined with parchment paper. That way, I have lemon slices to pop into iced tea, lemonade or even plain old iced water. Plus I wouldn't rule out popping them into chicken piccata or chicken, corn and cilantro stew say about 5 minutes before removing them from the heat.

A good rule of thumb is to ALWAYS zest the peel of oranges or lemons before you juice them or use them in a recipe, keep the zest in an empty spice bottle in the freezer. That way you always have zest to add a little kick to whatever you are cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before posting: