Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Homemade Bread

Here is my favorite homemade bread recipe:

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. After 10 minutes, turn oven off. Preheating then turning off the oven provides a warm dry environment for the dough to rise in.

3 1/2 cups flour
2 heaping teaspoons yeast
1/4 cup sugar, or 3 Tbs molasses or 3 Tbs honey
1 tsp salt

mix above together,

Heat 1 1/3 cup water to 115 degrees.

add 2 Tbs melted butter or 2 Tbs oil to water.

Make well in flour mixture and pour in water and oil. Mix together until dough forms. Knead for 15 to 20 minutes. Pour into greased bowl and turn to coat with oil all over. Put in oven and let rise for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes punch down dough, flour a flat clean surface and knead dough until reduced to original size. Place in greased loaf pan and allow to rise until doubled in size. Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 degrees.

After dough has risen, bake for 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack. DO NOT SLICE UNTIL COMPLETELY COOLED!!!!

Store bread in large plastic bag. Do not store until cooled or bread will get soggy.

Obviously this is plain white bread. I often add ground oats, flaxseed, wheat bran, etc. when I do the second kneading. This adds fiber and flavor. Play around with it and see what works for you.

2 comments:

  1. Love your posts! What type/size loaf pan do you use? Mine is too small so I either just shape a loaf or i just use the breadmaker I found for 5 bucks at a yard sale!! But the breadmaker leaves a big hole in the bottom of my loaf :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I don't use my breadmaker, either. This is the one I use: http://www.pyrexware.com/index.asp?pageId=11&CatID=388&SubCatID=393&upc=71160055759

    Got mine at Publix. The pyrex browns the bread nicely, too. Better than my metal loaf pans that I use in a pinch.

    Scour the thrift stores, though, you might be able to find one for less.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before posting: