Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Make your own cleaners

When we dropped down to one income I started realizing just how expensive brand name cleaning sprays were. What gives? They are mostly water! So I started making my own. Now instead of over $2 a bottle, I spend about 20 cents a bottle. 90% savings? I'm in!!

So here's what you do. A lot of sites will go crazy telling you ratios, essential oils, etc., but here's the real deal: Your mix should be about 1:10 cleaner to water, with a drop of inexpensive dish washing liquid (NOT dishWASHER liquid). So for a bleach cleaner you would use 4 TBS bleach to 40 tbs water. Not that I measure. I just buy one of those empty spray bottles like this:

 This is just an example. The ones I buy have markings on them that make the measuring a cinch.

Anyway, make one with bleach and one with ammonia. Same ratio 1:10. Strong enough to do the job but not damage any surfaces. Bleach at Big Lots (can you tell this is my favorite store?) runs about $1.50 a gallon. Ammonia is a  little more expensive but not by much. You can get 1/2 gallon for about $1.75. But they last a LOOOOONG time when you dilute them and use them in this fashion. Compare to over $2 for commercial spray cleaners and you are saving tons.

There are two home made cleaners I have yet to make work to my satisfaction: laundry detergent and dishwashing detergent. I bought the Fels-Naptha, the Borax, the household baking soda. I failed. So I just buy the cheapest detergents I can find and use my coupons.

One cleaning item that is totally worth the money? Oxyclean! I have two toddlers and can remove just about any stain with that stuff.

That's todays post. If you have any hints for making household cleaners please share!!!

See you tomorrow... Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before posting: