Monday, March 28, 2011

When it comes to toys, Goodwill is your friend

Except for special occasions like birthdays and Christmas, when you are buying toys Goodwill is the place to go. I look at it like toy rental. You buy something super cheap that will entertain your kid for a while, and then you return it when they are no longer interested in it. Saves you a bundle over department store prices and you know that some other kid is going to get the joy out of that same toy when you return it. But please, no one wants a beat up toy with pieces missing. If it is junk after your kids have played with it then please either find a specialized recycling center that accepts unusual items or just trash it. We have Bob's Recycling (yes, BOB's, funny, huh?). He takes batteries, old toys, old phones, everything. Maybe you have something like that in your area.

Also, Goodwill and thrift stores are awesome for holiday decorations. I got 3 holiday themed platters at my local Goodwill to use for Christmas cookies I give to friends. They were 25 cents a piece. The cheapest of these would have been at least $2 at the cheapest dollar store. They were clean, unscratched and very cute.

I bought a giant light up jack-o-lantern with a black cat popping out of the top from Goodwill. It was a whopping $6 (which is more than what I usually spend there) but the thing is almost four feet tall. I figured I would return it after Halloween. Turns out my kids adore it, so we had to find a place to store it until next Halloween. Sometimes bargains can bite you in the bohonkus. ;^)  But similar kitchy items at BigLots were over $20. So six dollars was a pretty good investment for happy kiddo memories.

Please share your happy thrift store finds. And locations for good thrift stores in your area. I live in Miami so I am obviously interested in Miami area stores, but others in different parts of the country could benefit from your favorite bargain basement - so dish!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before posting: